Cloudbase Paragliding has been offering tours since 1995 and we have custom-designed our itineraries to cater to many different tastes and personalities. We’d be delighted if you would join us on a paragliding adventure – be it local or international tour, or just a weekend away. We take all the logistical (accommodation, food, where to fly, weather briefings, cable car tickets, transport) planning of your hands, and you can just arrive and enjoy your vacation.
Garden Route & Cape Town (P.O.A)
Cloudbase Paragliding’s two-week Garden Route and Cape Town tour offers a combination of flying, culture, wildlife, and an opportunity for us to share the world-renowned warm South African hospitality with you. A full itinerary is available on request.
We recommend that you fly to Johannesburg or Cape Town as your initial port of entry into South Africa, and connect to the George Airport, and visa-versa on your return. Collection from Cape Town for a group is possible, at an extra cost.
Your tour will start in Wilderness that boasts some of the worlds’ best coastal flying sites as well as a few thermal sites too. In addition to flying other tourist attractions and activities you could choose to include in your itinerary are listed below. Entrance/participation in these are not included in the overall tour price:
- Botlierskop Game Farm – for an afternoon game/safari drive followed by an evening meal.
- Monkeyland Primate Sanctuary – a living forest experience, followed by cocktails in the bar.
- Cango Caves – guided tours around natures underground gallery.
- High Gate Ostrich – if you like you can ride an ostrich here?
- Bloukrans Bungee Jump – the highest daily operated bungee jump in the world at 216 metres.
- Arts and crafts fairs.
Cape Town boasts scenic flights from Lions Head and Signal Hill, and you’ll be landing at La Med, the premier bar in town. Non-flying activities you can choose to do a visit to the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront for evening entertainment, a visit to Simonstown and/or the Cape Point penguin sanctuary, or a trip up Table Mountain.
Of course, a flying visit to Porterville, one of South Africa’s premier thermal sites for cross country flying, is also on the cards. In addition to flying we’ll visit some of the many wine and port farms for wine tasting, cellar tours and picnics.
Tour price includes:
- Guiding to flying sites
- Guiding to tourist attractions
Tour price excludes all entrances fees to tourist attractions, lunches, dinners, souvenirs etc.
Compulsory extras for visiting pilots:
- SAHPA compulsory foreign temporary membership: R500.
- Site fees for the Wilderness sites: R550 to cover all sites.
- Site fees for Porterville: R50 per day
Smile While You Scream – Annual Alpine Tour
The Smile While Your Scream happens in South Africa’s winter and therefore the Alpine summer and is every year in the July/August period. Yes, it’s a whole three weeks, but you can join us for only one, two or all three regions of the tour. Our all-inclusive* rate in Euros means there are no nasty surprises, and you can fine-tune your budget. Over the previous twenty-five years of hosting the annual alpine tour we have streamlined our offering to ensure that our guests can enjoy maximum airtime, the opportunity to relax and if will also arrange run-of-the-mill tourist activities if required. We stay in a region for at least five days meaning that guests can join us at any stage of the tour via Inter-City trains from most major airports. The tour is also friendly for non-paragliders, so nonflying partners are welcome too. We start in Austria at Achensee for a week (where those who wish can attend an SIV course), then head over the valley to Stubai, and last but not least we journey to Bassano in Italy. Get in touch with us for a full itinerary and costs for this year’s tour or download the pdf here.
To join the tour, you must have:
- a valid license (student upwards),
- glider, reserve and harness with back protection,
- insurance that includes medical evacuation and third party, and
- South African passport holders require a Schengen Visa.
The all-inclusive * tour rate includes:
- Breakfast and dinner,
- Site fees including cable car fees at sites as per itinerary,
- Site briefings/ daily weather,
- Personal site maps for each region,
- Guiding/ skills advancement,
- Meet and greet at specified arrival and departure locations, and
- Tour t-shirt
* Drinks, snacks, souvenirs, airfares and visas are excluded and for our guests own account.